Pages

.

Coconut Lemon Bombs


Coconut + Lemon = Flavor Explosion! 


I love lemony desserts, especially when they are raw and so healthy. The ingredient list is full of whole foods so you can be sure that you are feeding yourself a nourishing and healthy treat any time of day. This one is a nice combination of lemon and coconut with just the right amount of sweetness. Both flavors come through for a bright lemon flavor with a hint of coconut in this no bake cookie ball. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Coconut Lemon Bombs

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1/3 cup buckwheat grouts/Kasha*
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats (I use GF)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes, optional
  • zest of 2 lemons, medium sized
  • juice of one lemon
  • 6 - 7 medjool dates, softened and pitted
  • 1/4-1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes for rolling

Place cashews, buckwheat groats and/or oats in food processor and blend until a medium to fine grind (doesn't have to be perfect). The buckwheat may stay a bit chunky so if your looking for a smooth center use all oats. Add rest of ingredients and blend until combined and you have a doughy consistency. If you find your dough is a bit too dry try adding fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 tablespoon at a time. Chill dough for about 20-30 minutes. Roll into 1 inch balls then roll in coconut flakes. Makes apprx. 12 - 14. Store in air tight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

* If you don't have buckwheat grouts, replace with oats or nuts. I love to include buckwheat wherever I can since it is a 'superfood' and packs a lot of protein and fiber per serving, they also have a nice nutty flavor. Per 1/4 cup serving you are getting 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, more so than oats per serving, 1/2 cup yields 5 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber.


A few different looks at the dough...



I used cashews, buckwheat and oats in this batch above, my food processor didn't chop up the grouts as well as the cashews so these had a chunky texture which I personally liked. 


In this batch I replaced the grouts with cashews. Consistency is smoother. Even the dates smoothed out more in this batch but that's probably due to the fact that they were really fresh and moist. 


My favorite way to roll is with a small bowl. 

Some of my favorite raw dessert blogs:




No comments:

Post a Comment