Pages

.

Winter Potato, White Bean & Kale Soup


Ahh yes, another soup...I love soups...plus it's raining here today. I've been on the computer most of the day setting up my Instagram account and playing with my phone, linking everything together with social media, whew...all that stuff takes time. Time well spent as it's a new experience for me...and your more than welcome to join me if you like to see what else is going on in my kitchen, as well as out and about in the big wide world. This was a perfect soup to accompany the weather and my geek day. It's also great for it's healing, relaxing, warming and flavorful qualities. All the vegetables and spices came together so well. The sweet potato adds a nice sweetness along with sun-dried tomatoes. It was all so good! If you can't find blue or purple potatoes, you can sub with any potato you like...or better yet add an extra sweet potato instead. This is definitely a nice hearty soup for those cool afternoon days and chilly nights.  


Here's one of my first Instagram food pics using valencia...actually more colorful than the one above just because I took this after turning the blue potatoes over. I didn't get a good shot with my digital after turning them over...but oh well, here you can see the difference. Amazing how much difference little changes can make. I'm still learning. :)

Now back to the soup...it's was soooo good!



For even more flavor try adding a little almond parmesan on top...it's so easy to make and adds that extra something!


Winter Potato, White Bean & Kale Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 sweet potato, diced
  • a couple purple/blue potatoes, diced (enough to have equal amount potatoes)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • small handful sun-dried tomatoes, chopped 
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 2 teaspoons herbes de provence* or thyme
  • 3 or 4 handfuls kale, chopped (I used tuscan)
  • sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste

In large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat, add potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook an addition 5 to 10 minutes, or until everything starts browning a bit.

Add broth, nutritional yeast, beans and sun-dried tomatoes, bring to a boil, cover, turn down heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes...just until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, add kale and let wilt. Serve with crusty bread and top with cracked pepper and almond parmesan

Makes about 4 servings.


*Herbes de provence is a great herb blend for the pantry. In this recipe I used the blend that contained lavender and fennel. Not all herbes de provence blends are the same.  Both of the blends I have tried have been good but this one with the lavender and fennel is my favorite. The other one has savory which I love too. I use them in this Parsnip & Split Soup and Chickpea Ratatouille. It won't go to waste if you love soups and cook often enough. And if you can't find it, the thyme is a great herb all by itself!

Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Elizabeth Antionette


No comments:

Post a Comment