Pages

.

Kale & Quinoa Salad


This has been my new to-go lunch lately and I just love it. It's simple, easy and nutrient dense while of course tasting clean, fresh and delicious! Might I also add that this is anti-aging, anti-fattening and a mood enhancing salad! It has been proven that a healthy diet improves moodGive it a try and vary it up to your liking by adding/subtracting any vegetables you like. Pumpkin seeds would be a great topping for this too. Also feel free to cut this recipe in half. I find that I will make this taking half one day and half the next for my to-go lunches. That may seem like a lot but I'm one of those who will munch on it throughout the day without eating it in one sitting. I have also been known to eat this all to myself in one day as my lunch and dinner. What can I say, I love it! Get that kale into your diet with this simple salad and enjoy the benefits of clean, healthy eating!

kale & quinoa salad

Kale & Quinoa Salad

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 8 -10 good size kale leaves, stems removed and finely chopped or julienned
  • 3 large or 5 small scallions (white & green parts), thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 1/2 large zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced or cut into wedges
  • 2 - 3 lemons
  • drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, optional
  • lemon pepper seasoning or cracked pepper, to taste
  • himalayan salt to taste

Rinse your quinoa and place in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to boil over medium high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Once done, remove cover and let set for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

While your quinoa is cooking, place the chopped kale in a medium size bowl along with the juice of one lemon, mixing occasionally. This will help soften the kale a bit.

Clean and dice the remaining ingredients. Once quinoa is done, combine everything together. Add lemon pepper and salt to taste. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon on top and drizzle with optional oil, mix once more. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Serves 4

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment