Pages

.

Lemon Chia Seed Pancakes


 I know I've been doing a lot of breakfast foods lately. Maybe it's because my daughter is getting back in school and I'm trying to do different things in the mornings. I can't believe how the time flies, summer is here and gone already...at least we have breakfast options, or dinner options for that matter. Pancakes are good any time of day. I have to say this is by far one of my favorites, and the Chocolate Nut Butter Syrup Waffle is way up there too ! Honestly, I've never had a lemon poppy seed pancake before but I'm sure this is as good...if not better. These were delicious. 


Chia seeds are a great healthy replacement for the poppy seed in this recipe. Not that poppy seeds are bad, but I like to add nutrition packed ingredients where ever I can and this fit nicely. We are getting extra nutrition and a little added crunch here and there. Chia seeds contain omega 3 (a great source for vegans) and it's a complete protein. They will help raise your energy level, as well as, expand with liquids to keep you feeling fuller longer. They contain a lot of nutrition in a little package. A serving has 60 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein. Every little bit helps...a sprinkle here and a sprinkle there will go a long way.


Adding zesty lemon makes for a bright flavor anytime of day...


They taste as lovely as they look.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, spelt or flour of choice
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons organic pure cane sugar
  • pinch of mineral salt
  • 3 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 cup buttermilk (one cup non-dairy milk + juice from 1 lemon or 1 tbsp vinegar, white or apple cider)
  • zest of two lemons
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional

Directions

Preheat griddle to manufacturer's instructions.

Start by making your buttermilk, combine milk and lemon, set aside. This allows them time to mingle.

Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, lemon zest and chia seeds to dry ingredients and mix. 

Pour batter onto griddle, using oil if needed in between batches. I like to use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for scooping batter, this way they are uniform in size. Cook until bubbles form on top or edges, and flip...usually about 2-3 minutes per side, depending on your griddle/skillet.

Serve with strawberries and pure maple syrup. Serves two. If you happen to have any left overs, you can store them in the fridge or freezer for later. If frozen, let thaw and pop in the toaster oven and enjoy !

Make gluten free by using gluten free flour of choice.


Enjoy !


You could also use this recipe without adding lemon zest or squeezed lemon and have a chia seed pancake with many different fruits of your choice...


here I served with mango, blackberries and raspberries. 


This is how I first thought of this recipe, I made it this way yesterday and this morning again adding the lemon recreating the traditional lemon poppy pancake. Glad I did, but both ways were good.


You may even eat them like a taco. :)

However you decide...happy nomming !

No comments:

Post a Comment