Pages

.

Roasted Fennel & Potato Soup


I have made this soup a couple times now. It is just so wonderful, warms my heart, at least for those of us who enjoy warm and velvety soups. All those in favor say 'AYE'. The fennel gives this such a nice flavor. I've always loved the look of fennel too with it's beautiful fronds. This will definitely be on the holiday menu for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. I'm also contemplating turning this into a mashed potato dish using less liquids. This is a keeper. 

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks 
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • 2 large or 3 small fennel bulbs (reserve the fronds)(those are the frilly green leaves)
  • 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • fresh black pepper 
  • 2 cups warm vegetable broth
  • 2 cups unsweetened warm soy or almond milk

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 F.
  • I cut up potatoes, fennel and onions and tossed with olive oil, salt and a sprinkle of pepper in a 6 qt. stainless steel mixing bowl, but any large bowl or big pot should do. 
  • Once coated, transfer the veggies to a roasting pan lined with parchment paper and spread evenly. Roast for 30 minutes turning every ten minutes or so.
  • In same mixing bowl that I tossed the veggies I added the warm broth and almond milk. When veggies were done cooking I added them to the bowl with the warm liquids. Using a submersion blender, I blended until mostly creamy...I like a little chunkiness. Add water for a thinner soup. Lastly, taste for flavor and add salt and pepper to taste.
  • I served with a couple fennel roasted pieces and lots of tender fennel fronds that I added after I took my photo, along with some more cracked pepper. So yummy and beautiful....all the senses were involved.
Enjoy !

The recipe comes from the ladies at Post Punk Kitchen, you can find the original recipe here .

No comments:

Post a Comment